Here are 20 timely tips to help you be more effective in your business.
1. Begin with a time log and discover your strengths and weaknesses.
2. Plan your day the night before so you get off to a good start.
3. Discover your prime hours so you schedule effectively.
4. Prioritize and rank your “to do” list.
5. Write everything down, even the things you are sure you’ll never forget.
6. Put all messages on a single sheet of paper so they’re easier to deal with.
7. Set deadlines for everything.
8. Make a decision on every piece of paper, and place those papers in one of three files (correspondence, projects, reading? or discard of reroute them. Don’t create piles.
9. Set goals for yourself and achieve them.
10. Have a 15 minute daily meeting with staff.
11. Think positively.
12. Learn shortcuts.
13. Handle interruptions effectively by knowing who and what they are.
14. Take time for physical fitness. It will give you more energy.
15. Learn to focus and concentrate.
16. Eliminate paperwork. Don’t let it control you.
17. Use single sheets for record keeping on people and products. Some of you may prefer to do it electronically but I still like paper.
18. Use a 1 through 31 section for your “to do” list signifying the days of the month.
19. File all current product, project or people sheets in your A to Z section so they can be found easily.
20. Keep meetings on track.